Sunday, May 30, 2010

Final Post


Wow. This has been an extraordinary experience. In the last ninety days, i've worked out profusely, and jumped some mad rope every day, not to mention the amount of chicken, and chicken eggs i've consumed ( i really owe something to that species). I've listened to countless podcasts (mostly "Stuff You Should Know") and seen the dark beginnings of a lot of early mornings.

I've been waiting to do this project since i saw Patrick's project completed. And now i've finally achieved something i really set myself out to do. This is one of only a few things i can really say that about in my life. Or at least that have any meaning.

I learned a lot about myself, and what i'm capable of, especially under long-term pressure. I chose to do my project in a sort of cross-roads point in my life, and it has helped me out quite a bit.

I've learned a great deal about the human body, and how to take care of it properly (in terms of exercise and diet). But more importantly, i actually DID the things that i learned, which to me, is at least twice as important as learning them.

I've developed a lot more respect for people who are "In-Shape". I now know how much pain and discipline it takes to get to that level of fitness.

I've learned to eat. Where to eat, how to eat, and what i want to eat.

After splurging a little once my final workout was done, and with each indulgence, i've learned that most added sugars, juices, and all-processed crap is just not worth eating. Not worth the money, or the time, or the harmful effects on the body. But a good piece of chocolate never really gets old, just nurse the thing and don't eat it all at once.

Overall, i'm really glad i've done this for myself. I've opened the door one jump at a time to the rest of my life. To being a better martial artist, brother, friend, student, teacher, and someday, parent and grandparent (Insha'allah). I've laid the foundation to the wellness of myself and others.

Thank you Patrick and Chen, for excellent guidance. Thank you, Renfield, Abby, Watson, Brian, (and Pam), for the awesome team work. Go Team Go!.

A special thanks to Amineh, who cooked for me at least once a week, grocery shopped with me, kept me on track with my diet as a whole, took my pictures, provided a lot of moral and existential support, who put up with my bad attitude at times, encouraged me to do more 8MA, and who leveled up my materia for me while i wrote this post ;)

Also to my grandma who taught me how to cook chicken in various ways, and who cooked lunch when times were getting rough.

A thanks to my friends and family, who provided a lot of support and encouragement, and late night talks. You know who you are.

And finally, thank you Donn F. Draeger, for being totally awesome, providing great encouragement to me throughout my project, and for writing a plethora of very good books.
Thank you Michael Pollan, for also writing a lot of good books. Thank you Josh Clark and Charles W. Bryant, for the many late night podcasts that kept me awake and sane.

Thank you readers.

This has been a great climb, and i highly recommend the view. I look forward to continuing my exercises and jump roping ...in a few days and for the long term. Good luck to all my group members in their post-pcp lives, and to all the new-comers working their way to the top.

May you all become strong and well




5 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Alex we'll miss your strong and steady presence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Alex! Practicing what you learn really is a big achievement. Something you did 90 days. Great job and results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A job well done big brother. I'm so proud (er. whatever you'd like to call it) of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Alex! It was an honor working with you in the PCP!! Good luck with all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Props to you and your grandma!

    ReplyDelete